Picture from And Winter Came(2008)
Ok this is where I indulge myself in my most profound expression of adoration for this Lady of Perpetual Melody. Don’t smirk at me (though I know I have played her music again and again that makes you hallucinate and see intricate patterns on your wall).
10 Things I Like About Enya
1. She’s Irish and she got me started to this whole Celtic stuff (although I would really describe her music as Celtic).
2. I thought she was the new face of Lancolme cosmetics a couple of years ago. That’s how pretty I think she was at that time and still is.
3. She made me sale away, sail away into an island of dreams.
4.I just love saying her name out loud: ENYA…ENYA.. this is my mantra when I feel so bad.
5. She does everything musically. Even how she controls the way she appears in the public. She is also stubborn(in a good way) in how she approaches her art, not allowing anybody-not even record executives-to tell her what to do. She did it her way and that’s what brought her 80 million records sold.
6. She belongs to a very musical family and grew up in a rural part of Ireland. She never let anything compromised her values. She never hang out with celebrities and lived in her own castle. And contrary to popular belief, Enya is more real than your Madonnas and Laday Gagas.
7. That beautiful voice is easily recognized due to her distinct timbre. Her voice can be simply described in two words: Ethereal and Beautiful.
8. She does all the backing vocals(layering) as well as play the instruments (otherwise, guest musicians are credited). She has maintained this close friendship with her producer Nicky Ryan and lyricist Roma Ryan. This makes up the team Enya. This is a friendship and artistic collaboration that endured the test of time, album sales and harsh critics.
9. If you don’t like the music, it is OK, but you gotta respect the craft. Enya spends years and years perfecting an album inside the studio. If she and her producer think the song is not working out, they don’t have any hesitation of deleting the entire recording(even though it was worth 6 months of their toil) and doing it all over again. See? Who can do this? Your bands? Your so called divas? No she is the real deal.
10. Centuries from now, people will forget who topped the Billboard charts or who made it to American Idol finals. But Enya’s music will endure. Because she does it quietly. And she does it for the love of music. And I love her music.